Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Official Ruling

It has been a great weekend.  We managed to make some good headway on the clutter in our home.  It had gotten pretty bad after we came back from vacation with tons of new things.  We also got to watch the boys perform as farm animals in the church's annual Epiphany Pageant.  And we spent some time at a new park.   The weather has been incredible.  Incredibly warm and incredibly humid.  But it's a great reason to get outside and get some wood chips in your shoes.

Now that the weekend has passed, we have our sights set on the week to come.

One exciting thing to look forward to is the BCS Championship game between LSU and Alabama.  I know that many people don't care.  They either don't care about college ball or they don't like the BCS system.   Some people don't like the idea of watching a rematch between the teams.  Me?  I'm excited.  I love college football.  I love LSU football.  And I'm going to watch this game and whoop and holler as if it were the first time in history that these teams played each other.   My kids will probably tell me to quiet down.  My husband will probably hang his head in shame when he sees my victory dance for the millionth time.  And if not for that, he will definitely hang his head in shame when I point and laugh at all the crying Bama fans as the Tigers hand their you-know-whats back to them.  Yeah, I'm excited.  But as excited as I am, it pales in comparison to another event that is officially starting.  Homeschooling.

We've made the switch.  We've taken the plunge.  And there's no going back.  Well, not this school year, anyway.  Long story short, we weren't 100% happy with the school district we are in.  The class was overcrowded.  He spent too much time waiting around.  He came home acting like a zombie who didn't want to talk about school and didn't want to do homework.  So we're changing all that.  And so far, the results have been good.  The first day I asked him to tell me what he would like to learn as far as math and science go.  He's interested in multiplication and learning about space.  After doing a lesson on the Sun, he was so talkative that Troy and I were just shocked that we were looking at the same boy who, for 78 days, wouldn't tell us anything about what he learned at school.  And after a couple of days of multiplication, he wants to move on to division.  A new boy, I tell you.

We are still looking for a curriculum to get and follow to help make things more manageable for me.  It's a lot of work putting all that stuff together!  But it's loads of fun.  And it's great spending so much time with him again.  He's a really helpful boy and a lot of fun to be with.  It's an exciting time in the TX Becker household.  

Geaux Tigers!
Geaux Orry!

Exciting times, that's for sure...

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! What exciting news! I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the homeschooling report is so positive already, what a blessing for sure! Orry is so smart for his age, he will most certainly excel in a faster pace learning environment!I mean, what 5 year old wants to move on to division after a few days of multiplication?!?! I suppose a paleontologist in the making does :)

    We're ready to cheer for the Tigers tomorrow too (but hoping for a more exciting game then last time)! I totally embarrassed Trent with my victory dance when they beat Alabama last fall. I'm okay with it though, now that I'm rounder, it will be that much more embarrassing....at least we're watching the game alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! That is flat exciting to hear! You really should contact Kristen. She can give you all sorts of advice about curriculums and such. I don't think you'll be sorry that you've made this decision. Orry is such a smart boy that he deserves more than the public school can offer. No teacher could ever care for him as much as you do, so you just go girl!!! lylyly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I have 2 very good friends that homeschool.. One has a kindergartner, the other has elementary children. I will check with both and let you know what they use! You will be fantastic at this!

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your loss. I told Nicole that if they weren't going to win being shut out was the next best thing. That makes it extra memorable.
    I'm stoked about Orry's transformation, on the other hand. That's super! Make sure he gets some good multiplication table memorization going!
    I saw an article today about the super cluster of galaxies called "El Gordo" that is something like a quadrillion times larger than the Sun. That might be a fun follow-up science feature after studying our huge solar system centerpiece!

    Not that you need advice... I'm just trying to steer the comments away from my off-color opening. We love you guys from Washington!

    ReplyDelete