Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Smell of Love

Ahh, Valentine's Day.  Can you smell it?  Smells like love.  Or maybe that smell is donuts...


This morning we left the house a little early in order to stop by the donut shop on the way to Isaac's school.  The kids loved the donut shop.  What kid wouldn't?  Chocolate milk, pink donuts with sprinkles, and donut holes.  That's what love is all about, right?

In keeping with our Valentine's Day traditions, we got the kids some books about love.  And here is where I will add that it's a little bit of a chore finding books that are about love and not about Valentine's Day on Valentine's Day.  But I managed.  Here's this year's picks:


For my Annie-cakes.

For Isaac.


For Orry.  And of course, it's a little bit about Valentine's Day, but it was just too cute to pass up!

Otherwise, it was quite the boring day.  Since I got my one and only wisdom tooth extracted (sounds so much better than yanked out) yesterday, I've been taking the prescribed pain medication today.  I've been a bit loopy and I've only wanted to sit on the couch and watch my kids play.  All day.  I did manage to stay awake and not just sleep all day.  That's what love is all about, right?  

I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day, filled with love and laughter.  Maybe a hug and a kiss, too.   Now I'll leave you with a great quote from Helen Keller:

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

(Psst!  Down here.  If you would like, leave your favorite quote about love in the comments.  I'll pick the one I like the most (or maybe one at random) and send that commenter something lovely.)

6 comments:

  1. Here is your new favorite quote about love:
    "To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy, one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness." -Woody Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. and here is a favorite of mine:
    "Love does not measure; it just gives." -Mother Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. by Sam Keen

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good quote is not all, but the quote and response: From Nietzsche: "What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?" The response is that love is not just the verb of doing that but also the noun--the incredible essence in the relationship that exists between subject and object that allows such an event to take place.

    Then there is this: "God is love."

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am sorry you had to have some wisdom extracted... that's painful and sleepy! i'm wondering if i'm gonna have to loose another one too. i also am wondering if pregnancy does this to me, because the last time it happened was shortly after my little starboy was born, and now -once again- i'm experiencing some trouble in the back of my mouth...
    i just found this quote today and shared it with my facebook friends. it's my new favorite bible verse and i'm gonna work on memorizing it. however, i do REALLY like troy's second one.
    romans 12:9-10 says "don't just pretend that you love others. really love them. hate what is wrong. stand on the side of the good. love each other with genuine affection [brotherly love], and take delight in honoring each other."

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1Corinthians 13:4
    Love is patient. Love is kind.... My favorite.

    ReplyDelete