Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Land of Plenty

Houston is a big city.  The Land of Plenty.  On any given day, there are handfuls of things to do. Yesterday was a prime example.

HMNS had a dino day going on.  There was a farmer's market, an International Festival, a British Festival, a couple of movies playing at different outdoor venues, and the AHA Houston Heart Walk.

There was no way that we could have done all those things.  Let's not forget that weekends are a chance for finishing that long list of things that should have been done during the week.  Like recycling, grocery shopping, and buying new shoes.  So we could really only choose one special thing to do.

Lucky for us, the choice was easy.  We had a few filters that the event had to pass through in order to be chosen.  Firstly, we wanted to do something on the southwest side of town.  We wanted to meet up with some lovely friends in that neck of the woods, so that narrowed it down to two things: the farmers' market and the International Festival.  Secondly, it had to be cost effective (i.e. free).  The International Festival was free.  The farmers' market was technically free, but you know that we would have spent money on ugly tomatoes and local honey.  And finally, it had to be kid friendly.  The International Festival won since it was put on by the Fort Bend ISD and meant to educate children and showcase the diversity of the school system and community.

The kids had a great time.  They had "passports" and collected stamps.  They collected little knick knacks (which are knick-knacking up my house as we speak...) from various countries.  We even squeezed in some arts and crafts before we had to move along on to the next tasks.

Recycling was next.  And then the kiddos finally got to meet little Miles.  And lastly, I managed to get our grocery shopping for the week done.

But we never could have packed our day clear full.  Nope, not this last Saturday.  There was no way that we were going to miss the LSU/Alabama football game.  And boy, are we happy that we didn't!  Troy and I just love a good football game.  We especially love a good LSU football game.  And hopefully our kids will love LSU football as much as we do.  And according to this article, they are likely to.

So we donned our purple and gold, and we got our shoutin' voices ready.  We were ready for the fight.  I'm sure that if you watched the game and weren't invested in the team like we were, you probably would have found it to be a little boring.  There were no touchdowns and the score stayed tied for most of the game.  But me, I'm invested.  At various times throughout the game I was holding my breath and wincing.  At other times I was jumping and screaming.  During overtime, I was doing all of the above.  My kids were trying to sleep and pleading with me to stop yelling.  Oops.  But in the end, we won by 3 points.  Not much, but it was plenty enough for me.

Geaux Tigers! #1!!!



I can't wait for next week.  I don't know what's in store, but I'm pretty sure that we'll find something to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment