Monday, August 22, 2011

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

How was Orry's first day of school, you ask?  

I really don't know.  I can, however, fill you in on what I know for sure and what I think I know.

He woke up really early.  So early that he asked me why I was waking him up at night when school was tomorrow.

He got ready in a timely manner and even had some extra time to watch a little bit of TV that he never gets to watch because he's never up that early.  

He got on the wrong bus this morning, but made it to school just fine despite his mother's mistakes.

He didn't wet his pants or get in any fights since I didn't receive a single call from the school.

He came home an hour later than I imagined that he would.  I don't even want to talk about this most hellish hour that I spent waiting for his bus to arrive.  Grrr...

When asked what he did today, he said that he watched three movies.  ???

Other things I gathered from various questions were that he ate a good lunch in the cafeteria, slid down a slide, had so many options for friends that he didn't make any, learned about sitting "criss-cross applesauce", and only had to pee while at school.  

I left an encouraging card in his bag.  (Remember when we made those cards?)  He knew that if he missed me, he could just read the card and know that I was thinking about him.   His reply when asked if he read the card was, "No, because I didn't miss you.".

And maybe you are wondering how I did on this most momentous day. 

I didn't cry a single tear.  I was a little sad, but a little glad as well.  I was so busy with the other three kids that I hardly had time to imagine all the worst case scenarios that might befall my little angel.  

I kept busy by making him some delicious soft pretzels for his after school snack.

I was incredibly excited to see his shining face when he emerged from the bus.  

It was a good day.  And I am exhausted.  We will turn around and do it all over again tomorrow.  

Oh, and before I go.  How was Troy's first day teaching 10th grade Geometry?  Well, I don't know that either.  But from what I could gather, his feet were really tired and he has a class with over 50 students on the roster...  Do tell Troy.  We are dying to know.


9 comments:

  1. When Orry's dad came home from his first day of KG, he was in a surly mood so I asked him, "What happened?" He said, "You won't believe it! I didn't LEARN a thing!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Orry's father went to church camp for a week when he was 9 years old, I was sure he'd get homesick so I wrote him a letter and mailed it to him very single day. When he got home, I found all my letters (still sealed in the envelopes) in his suitcase!! So much for sons missing mommies as much as mommies miss sons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's settled then. They are like two peas in a pod!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy, that sounds like one exciting day! The part where he came home an hour later then expected is not great, but his shining face sure is! Good job Orry and good job Bonnie! We are on the edge of our seat waiting to hear about Troy's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My day was like a spaghetti factory except that the students didn't squeeze out of the little holes very much like noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many options... i wouldn't make a dicision either! it'd probably be rushed. friends and a decision that's VERY important! never rush those sort of decisions.
    good thinking orry.
    we read a great book today, bonnie. you should check it out. (it's a little late, but it's still cute and fun) "the kissing hand" by audrey penn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should mention that book, MamaT. A couple of weeks ago, I stayed up passed 1am making over 5 dozen hand shaped sugar cookies that had heart imprints in the middle of the palm. I made them for my mom who is teaching 1st grade this year and that was the story they were reading on their first day of school. So you are right, I should check it out! I'll go put it on hold right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. *past

    I think I need to start going back to school... sheesh.

    ReplyDelete