Sunday, August 7, 2011

Chewing the Fat

At the dentist's office, not the GI's office
As many of you already know, Isaac was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis back in October of 2010.  Currently is doing well and we just had a follow up appointment on Friday to check on his progress after he came down off the steroids.  He's having healthy bowel movements and is not complaining about any pain.  If you saw him you would think he's a normal three year old living a happy life.

But if you looked at his chart, you would notice something a little off-putting.  He hasn't gained any weight for almost a year now.  He hasn't lost any weight either, so that's good.  He's just not getting over the 29 pound mark.  So now that we have his disease under control, it's time to address the issue of his weight.  We've been instructed to put him on a high calorie diet.

Some things we are going to do are put him back on whole cow's milk instead of almond milk which is naturally low in calories, start to mix a little bit of olive oil into his meals, feed him meat, give him more peanut butter and cheese, and start supplementing with Pediasure or Carnation Instant Breakfast.

As an adult it is strange to think of a diet with few restrictions.  Fat is the best way to boost calories.  It's a good way to get the most calories out of the least amount of food.  As an adult who tries to make good, healthy eating decisions for my family with the hope of raising them with good food habits, I balk at the idea of a high fat diet.  But alas, it is what we are going to try to help Isaac gain some weight.

Annie also could use some extra poundage.  She just had her 18 month check up.  She's at the top of the curve in height, coming in at over 32 inches tall.  But she is at the very bottom of the curve for weight, only weighing 20 pounds.  I feel that some of that is genetics.  I was pretty lanky as a child, also staying close to the bottom of the growth curve as far as my weight was concerned (my head circumference was another story).

So here's where I need your help.  I need some good snack ideas!  Here is one that I found on our travels in Austin.  Apple smiles.  We don't like red apples so we used green and we really like chocolate peanut butter so we called ours "monster smiles".  But I need more ideas for good, healthy-fat filled snacks (does that make sense).  I'm incredibly opposed to buying store bought snacks like Little Debbies.  I just don't like all the artificial ingredients added in there.  But maybe you know of some store bought snacks that are natural, healthy, and high in calories and would save me some time.  Otherwise I might have to make these more often:

Mini cake donuts dipped in dark chocolate with sprinkles

One of the challenges I will face is making sure that the kids get the calories, but that the grown-ups do not.  So I think snacks are a great way to help boost the calories of some but not others.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks ahead of time for your ideas!!

7 comments:

  1. There are nutritious drinks you can buy that are filled with calories and nutrition. You can also make them into milkshakes by adding ice cream and blending them (Ensure, Boost, etc.) That's how we boost calories for malnourished patients in the hospital. They are costyly and not at all tasty ( I think they all taste like vitamins) so don't buy more than one can without letting Isaac taste test first, if you decide to try this. If you're allowing dairy products, plain old flavored milkshakes would be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get you some recipes. It's kind of what I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll get you some too! you know I love me some healthy snacks, and they come with or without extra fat! I'll email them to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie. I haven't done a lot of research, but my husband and I changed our way of eating to get prepared for bringing up our kids-to-be the way you and your husband are with your children. We don't eat meat products or gluten, but with your introduction of both of those things into his diet to get him to where he needs to be weight wise, I'm thinking of a yummy sandwich: whole wheat bread pan fried in a little olive, butter, or coconut oil (it gets super crispy and delicious), then spread guacamole (high fat, and I think high calorie), sliced salmon or bacon (I read salmon is high calorie), and whatever other veggies he likes. I've been making a "cheese"cake out of soaked cashews. This last time I added pureed banana. I think both the banana and cashews are high in calories. The link to the recipe is on my FB page. You can alter the recipe just by adding whatever else to it that you want. Lastly, tamales are high calorie because of the lard, I do believe. You can substitute with olive oil or Crisco, though, and make beef tamales. Beef is high in calories. My favorite back in the day was green chile, cheese, and chicken. They seem daunting to make but they're not all that hard, and you can make tons at once and then freeze them for quick snacks later. I hope he gains the weight fast! You have such beautiful children:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about cereal? all my kids LOVE it...
    granola bars with lots of peanut butter? there are lots of ways to slip peanut butter into snacks, and it's not really like you have to SNEAK it in, well, at least my kids love peanut butter too!
    nutella (yuck for me, but yum for almost everyone else.)
    cheese is kinda like peanut butter, if your kiddos like it. so yummy on so many different things... or just eaten plain. or melted! yum.
    salad dressings for dipping lots of healthy things into?
    butter and chocolate and whole wheat bread...
    guacamole, and yogurt, and pure fruit juice...
    bananas and nuts are other easy fillers...
    bacon! yummy on that one...
    and the ensure idea is splendid, but we just buy slimfast shake powder. the kids think it's as great as ever and as far as calories go, it goes far! it can fill them up though, so maybe it's a better drink supplement than a snack. ???
    hope these help. some of my kiddos have a hard time gaining weight too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! My almost 3 year old too has (Unclassified) IBD and is stuck at the 29lb. mark, although only for about 6 months now. Anyways, he eats lots of avocado (mashed into IBD friendly guacamole)and I add olive oil to just about everything- hummus, spaghetti, homemade pizza with soy cheese (my kid can't do dairy). One decent tasting (although expensive) supplement drink to look into is Vital Jr. It is perfect for IBD b/c it is easily absorbed and as you know with IBD absorption is always an issue. If plain old PB&J is just too boring, try a PB&J roll up: roll out one slice of bread with a rolling pin, spread on pb&J and roll it up! He will also do tuna sandwich with mayo- not a snack, but perfect for lunch! Also if you squeeze some lemon into the mix the vitamin c helps the iron in the tuna absorb better. If Isaac can do dairy then definitely cheese and greek yogurt- it has a higher protein content than regular yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of your feedback! I can't wait to try some of these things. I just got back from the store where I checked out some of the protein supplements, but almost all of them contain soy or are too expensive. I would willing pay the price if I knew that Isaac would like it, but I don't want to buy a $50 dollar tub just to find out that he won't drink it!

    I love sharing knowledge. Thanks for reaching out to help!

    ReplyDelete