Saturday, June 11, 2011

Only Two Stars, But Lots of Yeses!

I've got too many blog ideas floating around in my head.  But today's topic is easy as cake.  Birthday cake.  That's right, another birthday in the Becker house!  Today is Orry's birthday!  Five years ago today, I became a mother.  And what a joy it has been.  So here's the run-down of our day.

We woke up late.  Yes!  Had chocolate chip pancakes.  Double yes!  Went to the Lego store to finish our birthday shopping.  Triple yes!  Bought a mini donut pan.  Super-duper quadruple yes!  No?  Just me?  Oh, well.  Maybe you'll change your mind when you have these.  Okay, okay.  Came home to have yummy tacos.  Definite quadruple yes!  Opened some presents.  Orry would give this one the biggest yes.  My wallet is crying.  But the best part of the day, in my humble opinion, was the fun family night at the HMNS.

First of all, it was a free family night.  Free in the sense that you don't have to buy a ticket to go, but the reason we get to go is because we already bought the membership.  I'm not complaining in anyway.  I've gotten the better deal out of the membership in my opinion.  But tonight they unveiled some plans for the new paleontology hall that will open in 2012.  We got to see the new Quetzalcoatlus fossil that will inhabit the new exhibit.  (If you have time to click on that link, be sure to check out where it was discovered.) We got to hear a great lecture from famous paleontologist Robert T. Bakker.  We also got to see some cool reptiles up close,  have some balloon swords made for us, eat free hot dogs and ice cream, and make a few dinosaur crafts.  It was a great time.  And did I mention it was free?

Making a wish
We came home with some sleeping tots, but hadn't even had our cake and candle celebration yet!  Isaac was impossible to wake up, so the celebrating when on without him.  Annie, although sick, stuck it out like a real trooper.  My chocolate cake only got "2 stars, but one of the stars was only half a star".  I'm not fired from the job, though.  Daddy got fired from making dinner ever again.  I think the "bean and rice tortilla with a fish hiding inside" from last week was what got him fired.  And rightly so.

And so begins our life with a five year old.  I can't believe that we'll be sending him to school soon!  But for now, we'll enjoy our summer with our big boy.  A summer spent wrestling his brother, helping his mommy, and firing his daddy from various jobs.  Not too many jobs, I hope.  He's really great at taking out the garbage!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! We should have taken photos of my awesome sardine burritos.

    Awesome #5 birthday #1. Good job, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a GREAT day! Oh what a joy to be 5 years old and the son of Bonnie and Troy!

    On another note, perhaps Troy was trying to get fired from dinner making. I mean, who would really make a bean, rice tortilla with sardines hidden in it??! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like the most awesome day ever! maybe i should send jones down there next week for his... can you believe it's already been FIVE YEARS?! wow. that's a lot of years!!!
    happy birthday orry boy. we sure love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send him on down! I can't guarantee that the cake will be any good, though...

    ReplyDelete