Friday, May 4, 2012

The Graphic Novel

Remember when your box of cereal used to come with cool stuff inside?  Well, I do.  And it turns out that it still happens, just not so frequently.  A while back Orry got a few comic books from some boxes of cereal.  They were the Justice League.  He loved them.  He probably read them 2, 3,10 times.  So at our next visit to the library, I asked the librarian where we could find more comic books.  Silly mom.  Now they are called graphic novels she tells me.  Oh, my bad.

So we checked out the small "Graphic Novel" section that they have and we found a few to try.  I am just amazed at how they hold his attention.  Wait, no I'm not.  There are tons of cool pictures and loads of those fun speech bubbles.  Here's how I found him this morning.


Whenever I just need some quiet time, I just suggest to him that he head to his room to read a comic book (what can I say, old habits die hard) for 30 minutes.  And it works.  They're like magic.  

I'm just glad that he loves to read.  He's a read-in-the-car kid.  He's a read-all-the-words-in-the-grocery-store kid.  (Yes, I can see that Lucky Charms are "magically" delicious.)  He's a read-your-emails-over-your-shoulder kid.  And now he's officially a graphic-novel-reading-fool.  I know Orry, you are not really a fool.

Here are some of the ones he's been enjoying.  The series that he enjoys are Billy Blaster and Benny and Penny.  He also liked reading Journey to the Center of the Earth (in graphic novel form), as well as Perseus and Medusa (both boys really like looking at this one and I'm almost positive that it has something to do with the slightly scary pictures).  

Like I said earlier, I'm just thrilled that he loves reading.  And don't worry, it's not all comic books.  He also really loves books from the non-fiction section.  Some of his favorite subjects are dinosaurs (of course), rocks, and insects.  But to the list we've added the graphic novel and that's alright with me.  

Let us know what your kids like to read (Or what you like to read.  I'm always in need of a good recommendation).  And tell us if you have a summer reading list!  I think we'll have to make one of those for Orry.  

5 comments:

  1. I like reading your blogs, that's what. And when I run out of material I just read my own blogs.

    I grew up thinking Lady Chatterly's Lover was a graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BWAHAHA!!! troybee, it could be considered that....for the more prudish type!

    I'm thrilled that orry is such a reader. I'll make sure to keep it in mind when I compose emails to you...:)

    I love reading as well, and am looking for some summer suggestions too! so, i'll leave you with that, and come back and see what others suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i picture a graphic novel as a novel with lots of gore and grossness in it. isn't that graphic content or am i just way off??? what's wrong with "comic book"? maybe they weren't really that comical...
    i don't have a reading list. well, i do for me. i'm reading lies women believe (and the truth that sets them free), by nancy de leigh ross (or something like that). and then have a few on the shelf waiting for me. they're both lamplighter books and i've heard too many good things about these "lamplighter books" to not read 'em.
    and then for the kids? nah, i don't make a list. we just pick up whatever sounds/looks good. although hopefully the third little house on the prairie book will start looking good again because i'd like to finish that series this summer. it's so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look for the Thornton Burgess series at the library. Those are some great classical books that his daddy loved reading when he was about Orry's age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comics is how we got our boys hooked on books ! Our local comic book store gives out free comics one day a month.

    ReplyDelete