Friday, March 16, 2012

Sense and Sensibility

I am amazed at how sensible my children are.  Well, how sensible they can be.  For instance, when asked if we should get Mommy a smoothie (I had a wisdom tooth extracted), Orry replied, "We can either go and get one and spend money or we can make one at home for free."  Beaming with pride, Troy turned the van around and headed straight home.  They ended up making a delicious strawberry and blueberry yogurt smoothie for me.  I won't say it was free, but it was already paid for.  Clearly the most sensible thing to do.


Another example.  Annie has been sleeping with the boys.  I wasn't too thrilled about the transition, but it's been working out.  However, on some nights the boys just won't settle down in a timely fashion.  Annie will remove herself from their bed and their room and ask to sleep in our bed.  A girl needs her beauty rest after all.  We don't really mind her sleeping in our bed.  She's pretty easy to move to her crib once she is asleep.

But the example that I'm most proud of has to be this last grocery shopping trip.  Before I explain I should tell you that this weekend was a stranger one.  I was gone for most of it and therefore the weekly shopping wasn't done.  My poor kids and husband had to fend for themselves.  Little pleasure was taken in eating the leftovers and odd canned things in the pantry.  So when I took them shopping I told them that we would buy anything that they wanted.  Anything.  They were so excited about this.  I was sort of regretting that those words came out of my mouth and also a bit bewildered that they did...

The first extravagance was taken in the produce section.  Honey crisp apples, green grapes, strawberries, and clementine oranges.  Not too bad.  If we were going to go buck wild, I was happy that it was happening in such a healthy place.  But alas, we weren't done.  We ended up buying string cheese, hot dogs, pretzel twists, Cheez-its (Junior Scrabble edition), Cocoa Puffs, and "baby" yogurt.  In the end I was pleasantly surprised.  We managed to walk by the Little Debbie section, the cookie section, the ice cream section, and the candy aisle without anyone asking for anything.  This grocery store even has a bulk jelly bean display.  Nothing.  Not a peep.  Needless to say, I was impressed.

My kids haven't been the only ones to impress me lately.  Lately, I've found that Troy has seen the light.  He's had some sense knocked into him.  He...


trimmed his mustache and beard!  I feel like I've got my handsome husband back from a trip in the wilderness.  I'm happy that I don't have to watch him drink coffee with a straw or constantly explain to him that he has crumbs in his beard.  I'm sure that the hot weather will help to keep up the trend and the cooler months will not help my plight, but I'm happy with it for now.  

6 comments:

  1. Sounds great Bonnie! Especially the part where Troy trimmed his beard and mustache. I understand the woes of a wife with a wild faced husband! Trent went mustachless with his beard on his last trim a few weeks ago. He was going for an Irish look for St. Patrick's day, but his mustache has now grown back.

    The items the kiddos picked out at the store really weren't too bad! They sure love their produce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very sensible as well. Most of your family has your genes, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think more play dates are in order! Not only do we thoroughly enjoy the company of the family Becker, but here's hoping some sensibility rubs off on my 2 monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)
    that all made sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blog certainly made sense to me! I love the grocery shopping saga. Getting Bountiful Baskets once a week has almost take the place of grocery shopping for me, it seems. lylyly

    ReplyDelete
  6. We miss you! See you in April. We're counting days! Kisses and Hugs to Annie, Isaac and Orry

    ReplyDelete