Saturday, May 21, 2011

Living in the Mesozoic Era

Walking down the aisles of Target, searching for birthday presents for a certain little someone, I ask myself, "How has it come to this?".  I'm scanning the store for a glimpse of scales, claws, teeth, and fossils.  Hunting for all things dinosaur.  This is my life.  At least lately, it has been.

About a year ago, Isaac showed interest in dinosaurs.  He didn't know their names or anything about them, but he knew they were cool and worthy of his time.  He would beg to wear the same shirt (a T-Rex riding a bicycle) days in a row.  Everywhere we went, a dino would tag along.  Much has changed since then.  Isaac's dinosaur t-shirt collection has grown, as has his collection of figurines.  We frequent the "dinosaur museum" as often as we can and rent every dinosaur book from the library that we can get our hands on.  Isaac's dinosaur vocabulary is expanding every day.  Imagine my pride when my child can perfectly pronounce Stygimoloch (but still has trouble pulling up his underwear).  Yes, this is my life.



I feel fortunate to have a child who is so passionate and interested in something.  I don't know many people who had a love for something as a child and grew up still interested in the same thing.  My own personal passions have waxed and waned over the years.  As a parent, I feel it's my duty to whole-heartedly explore these interests and do all in my power and means to encourage and develop them.  Isaac's love of the prehistoric reptiles may not ultimately lead to life of paleontology, but we'll never know unless we afford him every opportunity to grow with his passion.

I'm looking forward to a future of dinosaur camps, visiting fossil beds, and even collecting more dinosaur t-shirts.  With this blog, I hope to document our journey and inspire others to live lives that are full of passion.  In the meantime, you can find me sipping lemonade alongside my newfound dino friends in the Mesozoic Era.

2 comments:

  1. That is great Bonnie! I love how passionate he is with the dinos! Hes vocabulary really is amazing! I love that you encourage your kids to keep on with their passions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know I'm biased, but great blog!

    ReplyDelete