Sunday, August 19, 2012

Country Roads Take Me Home

Boy.  I'm quite embarrassed when I see the date of my last blog entry.  But on we go!

We've done it!  We've moved.  We are now living in the country.  I laugh a little when I say that or when I call our new home a "country home".  Allow me to explain.

Mowing grass and taking names
Our little house sits on an acre, almost at the end of a dirt road.  Behind our backyard is a field where we have happily watched a hummingbird, a few deer, a variety of birds (hawks, roseate spoonbills, scissor-tailed flycatchers, chickadees), and butterflies galore.  Our water comes from a well.   There are horses on our "street".  Our dishwasher is portable.  Dirt comes into our home every time we do.

Which is cuter, portable dishwasher or Isaac?
Now, on the other hand, we live off a semi major highway.  There's set of train tracks that run along that highway.  Follow that highway in either direction for about 7 miles and you'll run into a shopping center.



I like to think that we've got the best of both worlds.  Houston and all its offerings aren't too far away.  My house sits in the dark and the quiet.  Amenities are close.  Woodland creatures are even closer.





We really lucked out.  And that makes us happy.  Troy is enjoying his new job, as well as getting his hands dirty planting plants in our butterfly garden.  The kids enjoy being outside and sweaty.  I enjoy letting them outside without supervision and without worry.  Yep, the place where we belong.  It's going to be a good year.


2 comments:

  1. awesome! sounds like the best of both worlds indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have neighbors that you've met? Have you found a new church yet? How far away is Troy's school? I'm so glad you live in the country. lylyly

    ReplyDelete